Awards & Achievements
The work of Karuna Trust and Dr. H. Sudarshan has been recognized not only by the communities they serve but also by several state, national and international fora.
- Times of India Social Impact Award 2012
Karuna Trust was awarded the Times of India Social Impact Award 2012 under the Health-NGO category by the Times Group recognizing the zealous efforts of the Trust in serving the underserved and the poor. The award was presented in the presence of the Hon’ble President of India at New Delhi on 28 Jan 2013.
- National Accreditation for Quality to Gumballi Primary Health Centre
Karuna Trust managed Primary Health Centre at Gumballi has got national accreditation by National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) which is a constituent board of Quality Council of India. This has set a benchmark for quality service delivery for all our PHCs. This is the only PHC in the country to be NABH accredited after Gujarat.
Individual Awards of Dr. H. Sudarshan
- Rajyothsava State Award, for social work – 1984. Government of Karnataka.
- Vivekananda Seva Puraskar, (National Award)- 1991
- Environment Award, Government of Karnataka -1992
- Dr B. R. Ambedkar Centenary Award, Government of Karnataka – 1992
- Karnataka State Award for Best Child Welfare Organisation (VGKK) – 1994
- Right Livelihood Award (Alternate Nobel Prize) Sweden -1994 By Right Livelihood Award Foundation.
- International Distinguished Physician by American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) -1995.
- Dr Pinnamaneni & Seethadevi Foundation Award Excellence in social work -1995
- Karnataka Jyothi Award – 1997
- Basava Shree Award – 1999
- Padmashree Award by President of India – 2000
- Human Rights Award 2001
- Mahaveer Award – 2001
- Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Award for VGKK, Govt. of Karnataka – 2002
- Krishnadevaraya Award – 2002
- Devaraj Urs Award – Government of Karnataka, 2003
- Vivekananda Medal – Ramakrishna Mission, 2004
- The PHFI Outstanding Achievement Award (Public Health Foundation of India-PHFI) : 2009
- Sagar Award for Social Service : 2009
- Stood Second in the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award (BMJ Group): 2009
- Citizen Extraordinaire Award (Rotary Club of Bangalore): 2011
- Mahaveer Ahimsa Prashasthi (Mahaveer Seva Sansthan, Mysore): 2011
- Distinguished Alumnus Award (Bangalore Medical Collage ): 2011
- Swasthya Bharat Samman (Zee news ) : 2011
- Swami Vivekananda Award – Ramakrishna Mission, New Delhi – 2012
- Social Impact Award 2012 – Times of India.
- Mother Theresa Memorial Award 2013
- Chunchashree Award 2014
- The Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award, India -2014, Schwab Foundation
- International Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award -2015, Schwab Foundation